Plumbing. It is everywhere. The plumbing system in your house is a network of pipes and fittings. It’s true that several minor concerns with plumbing systems can be handled without calling a professional. Check out these plumbing tips before you start your DIY plumbing project.
- Be mindful of Electricity
- Since plumbing usually does not involve electricity, many people don’t think to turn off the electricity. Keep in mind that water and electricity don’t mix. This is especially important if you are doing something near a power source. Never work on a water heater or garbage disposal with the power connected.
- Eye Protection
- Protect your eyes when cutting into things. There is always the risk of things flying at your face and when you are wearing protective goggles you can pretty much eliminate the risk of eye damage.
- Protect Your Ears
- Loud noise can cause damage. Things like power saws and other equipment can become loud and ear damage can occur without you even noticing. Wearing earplugs can help protect your hearing.
- Protect Your Lungs
- You are sure to run into some type of dust and/or chemical fumes when doing plumbing work. If chemicals are being used, a respirator is something you want to consider wearing. The basic mask would be fine if it’s just for dust.
- Make Sure You Have the Right Tools
- Using the wrong tools can result in injury
. For example, if you need a chisel, use a chisel, not a screwdriver. The screwdriver could slip when you are hammering, resulting in slamming the hammer on your hand. The wrong tools could also damage the thing you are working on, causing more issues and costing you more money.
Wait There is More
There will be a Plumbing Tips Part 2 for you to continue being the master of DIY and safety. However, don’t forget that if you do need the professionals, Express Plumbing Heating & Air is here and ready to help! Starting in 2006, Express Plumbing Heating & Air is ready to turn any project or plumbing problem into a thing of the past and good plumbing the thing of your future.